Sunday, September 30, 2012

On peplums, stripes and being cranky in the fitting rooms...

Today is the last day of the STYLE25 promo at J.Crew. If you spend $150 you can apply 25% off and get free shipping. Also remember, that Shopathome has 8% rebate and if you have a credit card reward program you can get close to 40% off.

This offer also applies in stores and at is valid on both full price and sale items. It sounds pretty good, especially if your purchases were already on you list and you like to wear them the whole season. It may also be a good time to stock up on basics, that rarely make it to the deep sale. Will there be more sales and cheaper prices closer to Holidays? You bet! I would definitely NOT worry if you miss this sale, I am sure there is more to come :)

 Peplum stripe 
top


But, just in case you are considering Peplum stripe top, I have a review for you:

Size Small
It is a cute top and the fit is generous. I took the smaller of my sizes and it still had plenty of room. I wish it was solid not stripes and that the peplum was a little higher and longer. I still liked it though.

When I tried in on with pants (sorry no picture), the ruffle was hitting me in an off place on my belly. I think it is better with a skirt. It may be just me, and if you have flat stomach, you will not have the same issue. It wasn't bad, but again, I think it would have been better with the peplum starting higher and being a little longer. 

In Black
The knit is nice and substantial enough. I thought I would like the burgundy better, but I liked the black and black and white stripe more. Of course, black and white stripe is the last thing I need more of in my closet...

Vintage Burgundy
Overall, I have to say J.Crew missed the boat on the peplum trend. I am surprised they don't have few other options.

The need must be there, since this top sold out on the very first day (they probably just did not order enough) and it is backordered until late November. I can almost see Mickey in the boardroom (or on the load speaker) asking 'Why don't we have more peplum? Can we put something together really soon? Cut off the bottom of this stripe tee and slap it on as a ruffle? Think fast guys!'.

***
 I did find a peplum top that I bought, but it wasn't at J.Crew:

Guess where?

***

Tissue turtleneck tee in stripe


Size Small
This is nothing new and J.Crew has been making those tissue turtlenecks for years. I have several. They are great under (itchy) sweaters. Soft and comfortable, fit has not changed, and it is TTS. The only thing about them is that they are tight around the neck and will definitely mess up your hair when you put them on.

Bohemian red
I wanted to try Bohemian red because it looked very cute in the Lookbook with the pink herringhbone suit. I did not try it with that particular pink but I had a light pink Tippi sweater in the fitting room and the pairing absolutely did NOT work. I kind of like it looking at the pictures now, but I remember that I was not tempted at all in the fitting room.

This may be misleading. Somebody asked me how can I try all those things and not buy a ton. Well, I wonder if other bloggers here would agree, but for me, trying several items on is actually one of the best shopping deterrents. I am usually so cranky from all this trying on and changing that everything seems ill fitting and nothing tempts me. By the time I tried on 15 items in 2 different sizes and photographed everything including tags,  I just want to get out of the store as soon as possible.

***

Raglan sailor top
Raglan sailor top
Colorblocking and stripes, all in one, I had to try it!

Size Medium
This top looks nice in the picture and great with the crimson maple skirt imo but irl I was disappointed. I know we have been complaining about knits being too thin but this tee had an opposite problem. It was stiff and did not drape well. It was loose in the body and tight across the chest. The sleeves were too wide. I am not sure if I should say it fits TTS, small or big. Probably better if you are pear shaped and usually find the sleeves too tight.  Oh, and I forgot the exposed zipper that I had trouble zipping up.

Boy, I really do sound cranky, sorry. Needless to say it was a pass.

***
What do you think?
Do you have enough stripes?
How about peplums?

If you are a blogger, does trying things on make you buy more or less?

Please share, it would be no fun without you!!!

26 comments:

  1. Oh I like that blue peplum you bought - that is my colour! You must share!

    I saw some peplum in a local shop window but have had no time to pop in and try it on! I like the black and white peplum on you and agree that the burgundy is just "meh"

    I actually really like the pink skirt you are wearing despite the material blend. That might make it chez WMM...

    Hope you have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would like peplums until I tried, they are actaully very easy to wear I think and flattering on most people. I thought you need to have a waist definition but in fact you don;t, they create it.
      The pink skirt is pretty and a good fit, esp. if you don't worry about the fuzzies.

      Delete
  2. Ha, that's so true, I'm usually cranky too after all the try-ons. I agree, I'm so much better about purchased after trying on so much. It helps me make muh better decisions.

    I love the tissue turtlenecks, and have a good supply of them for the winter. I like to also pair them up under tees as well. They do those very well.

    Thanks for the reviews as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! As far as making purchasing decisions, when I browse online it is all about 'I want'. In the fitting room, I am now more about 'can I get a good picture of it?'. Plus, so many thing are styled well and disappointing IRL.

      Delete
  3. I've got a slew of peplum tops that are roughly 15 years old plus, I'm quite crushed that they are in fashion as I don't want to look trendy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha, I am afraid you are your own enemy then. Your picture in the peplum jumper was what triggered my peplum obsession! Well my dear, you just have to wait it out I think...

      Delete
  4. I don't have a blog and I still get cranky in the dressing room. Maybe they should serve "refreshments" in there. And maybe one of those mirrors that make everyone look skinny :)

    I like the solid colored peplum better than the stripe. The proportions are better on you. Where did you get it? My guess is Ann Taylor.

    I hate turtlenecks and the only one I can stand to wear (because sometimes I need to wear one) is my J Crew black tissue turtleneck. They did that one well. The stripe is cute.

    My favorite in this batch of try-ons is the Raglan Sailor top, but it sounds like I won't like it in person. I'd give it another try, though, it does look nice in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cate, I am all for refreshments and better mirrors. Sometimes I am really discouraged by the awful lighting and I know that when the fitting room have flattering mirrors I am much more likely to buy.

      You are right about the peplum top. It is Ann Taylor Ponte Peplum top.

      Delete
  5. Love the peplum you did buy My guess - Ann Taylor or the Limited? Both had one with longer sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the fact that you are trying on a ton, and can't find something you love is very telling. I think J Crew has lofty goals this season, but they have overlooked some of the basics, like fit and fabric. I think the proportions are "off" on the striped peplum, but the one you bought(Anthro?) is longer and more graceful. I like the ootd you made with it, especially the belt! I still try on too, hoping that some of the pieces will be cute in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right on, Knityarns - you know what I bought with the 25% off (and a $25 gift card)? A short sleeve black cashmere tshirt. I needed one, and honestly, could not think of one thing I really wanted from J Crew from either a price or style point. I will now wait for the October rollout and see if there is any holiday-like items I could use, since my holiday options are VERY small..

      Delete
    2. Agree, there seem to always be something off with J.Crew offerings this year. Nice idea but wrong fabric, nice fabric but impractical, wrong color, too expensive, etc. I still like the pencil skirts, Tippi cardigans and Liberty shirts but I have more than enough in my closet so it is very hard to justify unless it is truly perfect.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE the outfit with the blue peplum top (I say Anthro but I really have no idea), definitively a better choice than the JCrew one. I do not get cranky in the fitting room, unless I am late to pick up my daughter. I could honestly try on clothes all-day long. What makes me cranky are the lines for the fitting rooms. I don't think trying on makes me buy more but having a blog does, it's like having somewhere to go everyday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if see the lines I leave, usually this is not the case in the stores I visit, thank God! Having my own blog does not make me buy but reading others does :)

      Delete
  8. Me too, love the blue peplum outfit. I also get cranky in the dressing room and find the whole commotion makes me not buy anything.
    I do not own a peplum anything and I don't think I'll buy one, though I like them.
    I have to pack for my trip tomorrow, I leave later this week and I have no idea what I'm bringing right now if you can believe it. I can't decide on a color story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I am sure you will be fine and best dressed, no matter the color story. Please don;t stress yourself, better to spend time with that museum course! Maybe that whole outfit planning thing is not that important after all :)
      I am excited for you, I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your family and it will be great for MrBP to get away from all that work.

      Delete
  9. lol @ Mickey's demand for a quick peplum fix. I love the peplum look and it has to be just right. I agree this one is too short and I didn't bother ordering it. I am happy w/the floating rose cami from FA11, which has a cute peplum hem. Trying on makes me tired as well. I will sometimes just go home, look at my photos, look at things online again and then go back and buy from my vPS. I try not to give into a feeling that I have to buy just because I spent a lot of time in the fitting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that Floating Rose cami, I don;t have one but I love the print, I have both the dress and the skirt! I have been wearing my Eden velvet jacket, it realized it has a peplum too.
      It is funny but sometimes I hate something in the fitting room, but look at the pictures later and reconsider, sometimes it is the way we feel that day and yes, being cranky and tired...

      Delete
  10. ug had to read this because I thought I wanted a peplum top lately too- ivory-ish solid because so many times that is what I grab for work AND sleeveless because it is so hot in my office....found one I liked on sale- only available in a sort of large size, but I took it because the price was good. Went to another store a few days later- same top- got it in a smaller size, but it was now not as-much on sale and cost $7.80 more- and the two sizes fit very similarly... weird. annoying. stupid. Not sure which one to take back...maybe both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C, usually when in doubt, I say return both. There is always something new that you will love coming up.

      Delete
  11. I am pretty sure it was getting cranky trying stuff on in the dressing rooms that cured me of shopping at the B&M. And I used to camp out for sales until a few mob scenes had me wanting to run out screaming. Now if I can only find a reason to stop the point and click method of shopping I will be a better person. The artificial ingredients and poor construction disappointments may just do it.

    Your belted blue peplum outfit is beautiful and one of the best peplum looks I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, I am actually vowing to shop more in stores than online. I think in stores, we are more influenced by good fabric and fit, online is all about styling and photoshopping. I would not even bother trying on most of the items that interest me online. I do take some of them to the fitting room only because I want to show (especially those living far from the stores) that something that looked great on the website is hot mess irl.

      Delete
  12. I get cranky just visiting the mall and often will avoid trying on, telling myself that I'll come back later when I'm not so busy but it never happens and I just forget about the stuff. If I get a large order delivered at home I will usually only make it through half of the items before I'm bored and leave the rest for later.

    Peplums are too "Mother of the Bride" for my taste, although the J.Crew version looks like something from crewcuts. I could never pull it off but the blue top does look lovely on you so c'mon, dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would get bored even more if I did not have a blog, this gives me additional purpose.
      You may be surprised if you try on some of the peplums out there (especially in solids, longer and not too flared), I know I was and peplum can be great for narrow hips. But I agree with Gigi, it has to fit just right which would be a little different for everybody.

      Delete
  13. Hi AJC! Love the blue Peplum Ann Taylor top. I'm quite horrible at shopping there because the clothes never pop out at me the same way the vivid colors at jcrew do - so I love seeing it tried & tested on someone else.

    Also, Ann Taylor is now having 30% off everything online & in stores (SALE30) so its a perfect time to splurge on my first peplum piece.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete